Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

this is the story...

A brief history of me watching the Real World:
The first Real World I watched was Las Vegas (season 12). I was babysitting and heard that a girl from Hunter (Irulan) was on it. This was a salacious season. I believe the first eppy had hot tub makeouts. (Don't worry-- I had already put the kid to bed.) After that, I looooooved Real World San Diego (season 14): I had an enormous crush on Randy, and Frankie alone (who was dying and extremely afraid of boats) made the show worth watching. Then, i tried to watch Austin, but I think I got bored... shortly after which I left for college and no longer had cable access.

The new Real World (Brooklyn, season 21) consists of:
1) a transgender woman
2) an Iraq war vet trying to be a singer-songwriter
3) a gay dolphin trainer
4) a black beauty queen
5) a Mormon who everybody thinks is gay
6) a guy voted best abs in the Northeast
7) a girl who previously identified as a lesbian but now has a boyfriend
8) a white hip hop dancer (who frequently takes classes at Broadway Dance)

This is honestly the best Real World cast in a looooong time. They've gone beyond filling niches or just choosing the 7 hottest people and found extremely interesting people who have a lot to teach each other. But at some point between when I stopped watching and now, they made the show an hour, which feels uber-long. The other problem is that because there's not a structured format where every week is different (like in many competition reality shows), I feel like they just edit together all different parts of their living together and pretend it happened sequentially. So the episodes feel a little all over the place. Anyways, I really do want to stick with this season... besides the fact that the cast is great, there's the added bonus of them being in NYC and stopping by places I've been.

No comments: