Pages

Monday, October 6, 2008

Ah, the start of fall.

I had my first hot Starbucks drink yesterday, which was a milestone. I love hot Starbucks drinks when it's cold but the whole get-an-espresso-add-milk-yourself-save-two-bucks thing doesn't work as well for hot drinks as it does for iced drinks. I suppose you have to reconcile yourself to seasons changing. So I'm transitioning from doppios on ice to pumpkin spice lattes and from flip flops to suede scrunchy boots. All the empty calories and tendency to fall apart on the streets of New York, twice the warmth. This is my first falling into fall where I haven't gone back to school in 14 years. How weird is that.

This weekend, I went to Boys' Life with Kara on Friday and Margaret Cho: Beautiful with Ryder on Saturday.
The more I think about Boys' Life, the more I really liked it. At first, I was annoyed by how shallow and one-dimensional all the female characters seemed. The way I described it to Kara, it reminded me of how sometimes you'll be arguing with a boy and you'll be being totally rational and you know that the boy is just sitting there shaking their head, going "Man, girls are crazy. They have no reason for doing anything." And you want to be like "No, you are the reason I am sad/mad/etc." That is how I felt. But about halfway through, the male characters started to become just as unlikable and the women started seeming more rational. It's similar to Juno, where at first you're totally on Jason Bateman's side and by the end, you're on Jennifer Garner's side. Ah, male-female relationships... so heteronormative.


Margaret Cho was as brassy and ballsy as ever. I remember how she was like my numberonesuperhero when I was 15 and read her book, I'm the One that I Want. I think her stand-up has gotten less funny as she gets older and more political. The political stuff she does is a little too preaching to the converted for my taste. Like yeah, you say "I hate Sarah Palin," of course your audience of Asians/gays/faghags/liberals is going to respond like "Yeah, we agree;" that doesn't mean they're laughing at your stand-up. But before I was the converted, I thought she was just out of control amazing. I can't really think of anyone else who has confronted race, gender, and sexuality in the same way as she has. So if I were to judge it on a stand-up scale alone, it wasn't fantabulous, but seeing one of my all-time heroes and role models live (even from what felt like thousands of feet away)... nothing can compare.

Today, I was listening to the Avenue Q soundtrack and realized they say, "You're 22," which I am. And I realize that all the songs are like specifically catered to my age group: What Do You Do with a B.A. in English, I Wish I Could Go Back to College, Purpose, etc. Tres le sigh, that is a depressing realization. But I suppose, as they say, "It's only for now."

No comments: