Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Office vs. 30 Rock

Nelson and I were talking about which is better, and it's weird because they can't really be compared. Their sources of humor come from such totally different places. Like The Office is recognizable and subtle while 30 Rock is fast-paced and outlandish. Everyone knows people like the characters on The Office, but I can't say I have a whole lot of Tracy Jordans, Kenneth the Pages or Jack Donnaghys in my life. The Office takes place in the kind of banal, tedious world most of us live in whereas 30 Rock explores a much more glamorous, fun 30 Rock occasionally has bits like a live-action Family Guy, where they'll cut to something so outrageous, it could never have happened in real life. Meanwhile, the funniest parts of The Office often come from a subtle look, awkward silence, or facial expression. I think that's why the dramatic parts of The Office often work as well as the funny parts.

You can watch the season premiere of 30 Rock on hulu.com, but for some reason, I'm waiting until Thursday. Or until I get more bored than I currently am. Call me old-fashioned like that.

No comments: