Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

probably my favorite thing to talk about



From Barry's phenomanable blog, re: the new ladies of SNL:

Interesting how it seems all the ladies these days (and a lot of the guys) they pick are attractive. Harken back to the good old days when people like Mike Meyers, Chris Farley, Cheri Oteri were on the show...who were clearly not picked because they of their dreamboat potential. We'll see how they do. Kristin Wiig manages to be gorgeous and hilarious, why can't they?


In response to Barry, I don't think that Mike Myers or Chris Farley is a great example because SNL is still chock-full of men who aren't necessarily dreamboats. Besides the fact that Mike Myers is definitely more conventionally attractive than many famous comedians today. But I do think standards have changed for women.

Wanda Sykes' recent out-coming also made me think of how the old mold of comedienne is a brash, brassy woman, many of whom are lesbians and many of whom are less conventionally attractive than the traditional Hollywood actress. Compare women like Roseanne, Rosie O'Donnell, Joy Behar, Susie Essman, Wanda Sykes, Whoopi Goldberg, Paula Poundstone, Judy Gold, Ellen DeGeneres, Sandra Bernhard, Janeane Garofalo etc. to today's most famous comediennes (ugh, kind of hate that word) and comic actresses: Tina Fey, Sarah Silverman, Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig, Amy Sedaris, Elizabeth Banks, Anna Faris, Chelsea Handler, Leslie Mann, Isla Fisher. It's not that these women aren't afraid to look ugly or make a fool of themselves: Sedaris, Poehler and Wiig all transform themselves deftly into unattractive characters. But they're all petite, hot, straight girls who show up on the red carpet in dresses and makeup. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But why are today's female comedians so in line with traditional standards of beauty and femininity? How about the fact that a lot of these women have dated or married successful male comedians? Or the fact that even these women are constantly down-playing their hotness: Tina Fey once said in an interview, "I have to say, I'm really not that attractive. Before I met my husband, I could not get a date." God, what hope do the rest of us have?

One major change that occurred between the flourishing of these two different molds of female comedian is the move from traditional stand-up to other forms of comedy. Many of the latter group of women are improvisers, sketch comics, or film actresses. A stand-up comic is much more likely to create an onstage persona that's in line with her offstage persona. Not to say that a comic isn't also playing a character, but that character is much more likely to share a name, face, and a number of true stories with the real person. In contrast, if you do a crazy, loud, or ugly character in a sketch or movie, you can wipe off the makeup and walk offstage and no one associates you with the character you played. Stand-up also allows you to tell your own story as opposed to someone else's. I'm sure there are far fewer parts for big, loud women than for hot actresses who can play the romantic lead.

Honestly, now that I think about it, ever since Gilda Radner and Jane Curtin, SNL has always favored cute pretty girls. I'm sure one could find plenty of counter-examples on either side, but the truth is, I can't really imagine a Roseanne getting a sitcom nowadays. It's not like I don't think the women who are successful today should be famous, or that I think their hotness is what made them famous. Every woman I put on that list I have a tremendous amount of respect for and truly believe is phenomenally talented. But I'm sure there are also talented women out there who aren't getting recognition or roles because guys don't want to sleep with them.

Anyways, I could write an entire paper on this. I wish I had... especially considering I took a class called "Gender & Performance." But alas, my schooling days are over. Thoughts?

4 comments:

bshafrin said...

send this to comedy central! they should continue your blog, i love this post! pass it around the office! YOU HAVE A VOICE AND PEOPLE NEED TO HEAR IT

...also my word verification is "diabio." i imagine that it means "Evil Diabetic"

Aly V said...

First of all, a shout out to Bar. Hey, hon. Second, also to Barry - Mike Myers is so adorably cute. Third, I totally agree. Sachi your writing is brilliant. In the old days of SNL though Jane Curtin was like the Marilyn Munster of the cast. Her looks made her an oddity, the straight man for many sketches. "Sorry I am pretty but I am also funny." Gilda Radner and Laraine Newman, not so much. Not in any classic sense of pretty. Julia Louis Dreyfus? Molly Shannon? Ana Gasteyer? Andrea Martin? Two of the most famous women in comedy were real beauties though. Mary Tyler Moore and Lucille Ball.

Molly Lambert said...

totally agree

Alison Rich said...

mike myers? totally cute? i don't get it.

give me jorma taccone please...not an official snl castmember but so dreamy...way more than mike myers.