Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2008

parenthetical statements about the weather


[[Forgiveness ~ Patty Griffin]]

The weather was schizophrenic today. Which was interesting, to say the least.
Best weather moment: At the Master's Tea, snow was falling in big blustery chunks and I could see them through Lino's big French doors and I felt as though I were in a snowglobe. If you ever get a chance to sit in someone's mansion by their fire, make some cucumber sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and lapsang souchong. It is the perfect meal to forgetting that you are a lowly college student who normally eats unhealthy amounts of popcorn chicken and midnight crab rangoon. (In case you don't know, rangoon is Chinese for creating a fake version of something, mixing it with cream cheese and deep frying it.)

Worst weather moment: Walking home from the Quad and worrying I might be blown away. Literally. (Sometimes I forget how to use the word literally and so I need to separate it and make it its own sentence. Just in case.) I have no socks. I'm not sure why. I went to Urban Outfitters to buy socks and accidentally spent my sock budget on fingerless gloves with owls on them and a blue velvet blazer. The point of that whole tangent (do tangents have points? tangents are lines, which are made up of infinite points but have no ends) is that it was in that frozen moment on the way back from the Quad that I briefly regretted purchasing the cute fingerless gloves with owls on them instead of ACTUAL GLOVES. Because if your gloves don't have fingers, they are basically just sleeves that you have pulled down onto your hands. They are, in fact, the opposite of gloves because they are not keeping your hands warm at all. Their sole purpose is to have cute little owls on your hands which hoot maliciously at you as cold, cold air bites into your numb aching fingers.

And I was beginning to believe that spring was coming. Still the sound of the wind sounds really nice when I'm inside working. (And by working, I mean eating leftover noodles and trying to catch up on the sisyphean task of google-reader-ing.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg so true.

and that refers to everything in the post. especially to the mean hooting owls.

Unknown said...

oh sachi.
they're not even glittens or mloves.