Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

a quote from The End of the Affair

Song of the moment: A New England ~ Billy Bragg

Background on The End of the Affair-
It was the one book in James Wood's class that he didn't really like and spent a lot of time trashing in contrast to Naipaul and Nabokov. And yet I loved it. Okay, so it's not quite as subtle in terms of language, but I think it's still really touching and beautiful.

Me in section: "What's wrong with a book that doesn't make you think but does make you feel?"

But then I spent the last two days writing a paper on it and now I am kind of like bleeehhhhh there is no subtext how can you write about style when there's just too much substance and everything's said so simply. Anyways, rereading it you discover all kinds of little nooks and crannies you didn't notice before. So here is one:

"Yesterday I went home with him and we did the usual things. I haven't the nerve to put them down, but I'd like to, because now when I'm writing it's already tomorrow and I'm afraid of getting to the end of yesterday. As long as I go on writing, yesterday is today and we are still together."

delightfully sentimental.

1 comment:

Sean Passean said...

I love this quote and was trying to remember it for a friend. thanks for posting